Roasted Garlic and Chili Tomato Sauce – easy to make!
A beautiful jar of tomato sauce can make a simple meal delicious! Boil some pasta, pour on the sauce… and you’re done. There are some great brands of jarred sauce out there, but the problem with many is that they are often loaded with so much sodium. Even when you do get a good, natural and low-salt brand – it’s still a processed food. There are a lot of steps involved from farm-to-jar-to-plate, and when you make it yourself, you can simplify that.
This recipe is for a beautiful roasted tomato sauce that is so easy to make! You’re left with a jar of sauce that you can use on that day, you can store away in the fridge or freezer for another day, or give away as a gift to a well deserving friend.
Roasting your veggies makes a great sauce with little fuss. It brings out the natural flavors and sweetness, and it’s just perfect. When you make this sauce, and your house fills with the aromas as it cooks and your belly grumbles in happy anticipation. It just makes the entire meal that much more special.
Homemade Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 5-7 ripe tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- 1 date – for sweetness
- any other ingredients that you love – garlic, onion, chili, bell peppers, eggplant…
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Cut your tomatoes in halves along with your other ingredients. Drizzle olive oil to fully cover, but not saturate. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Roast in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until oozing and brown.
- Bring it out of the oven and allow to cool. Then whizz it up in the blender, with a bit of water or stock until you get the consistency that you want.
- Add the pitted date for sweetness and salt & pepper to taste.
Store it in a jar and it will keep in the fridge for about 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months!
Enjoy it and share with a friend!Posted by militza