Get More Energy With The Coconut Chia Fresca
Life is busy. We’re constantly running around, juggling so many things and fighting off exhaustion. So, I thought we could all use a good energy drink: the Coconut Chia Fresca!
This recipe is inspired by a popular drink in Mexico called the Chia Fresca, which is made of water, chia seeds, lime juice and sugar. I was super intrigued by the chia seeds, but it was the sugar part that I didn’t love too much. So, I thought about how to make our own version! The Coconut Chia Fresca is made with just three ingredients: energy giving chia seeds, hydrating coconut water and refreshing lime!
You may have heard of chia seeds during the Chia Pet craze: Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia! Well, they’ve made a comeback, but this time riding the superfood craze! The term “superfoods” is overused, but chia seeds are pretty remarkable! They are so nutritionally dense – giving us tons of energy – and that’s exactly what we want!
Their benefits may be news to us, but people have eaten chia seeds for endurance since the times of the Aztecs. Soldiers used to eat a daily ration of these tiny seeds to give them energy for running long distances and to sustain them for long periods of heat and thirst. In more modern times, marathon runners talk about eating chia seeds before a run for increased energy. It’s amazing to think that such a tiny seed can give us such a big boost!
Here are three things that I’ve learned about how chia seeds work for us:
- Highest plant source of Omega-3 (also found in fish oil)
Omega-3 is an essential fatty-acid that most people are lacking. It helps with brain function, mood, inflammation and joints.
- Incredibly high in antioxidants (which help to protect and repair the cells in your body)
According to the authors of Staying Young, the antioxidant activity of chia seeds is higher than any whole food, even blueberries!
- Stabilizes our blood sugar levels
Do you ever feel like collapsing after lunch? It’s usually after you’ve eaten something sugary or starchy (I’m looking at you, rice!). How do chia seeds solve this problem? Well, when placed in a liquid (or in our body) the seeds form a gel like substance. This gel slows digestion and stabilizes our blood sugar levels, giving us steady release of energy throughout the day, rather than peaks and slumps.
Coconut Chia Fresca Recipe
- the water of 1 whole coconut – this adds a natural sweetness and is bursting with electrolytes!
- the juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Open the coconut and pour out the water into a glass, make sure not to get in any woody bits!
- Add the chia seeds and squeeze in the lime juice
- Wait 10 minutes for the seeds to form the gel
You can make this drink in the morning, and bring it out with you, it will keep throughout the day, whether you are out exercising, chasing after your kids or busy at work!
Singapore Shopping Guide
- Get chia seeds delivered to your home from BGO Singapore- and check out their bag deals!
- Or order chia seed online from iHerb.com