Have you seen Naiise yet? It’s an online shop, with the goal to make good design accessible – and I was asked to curate pieces that fit our green lifestyle. I love the idea of creating a home that celebrates green living – choosing sustainable materials, supporting local and handmade, filling your home with plants and objects that encourage a hands-on life.
come check out the full curated collection
come check out an interview where I share how to be happy, healhty and green with design
Great news: Naiise is giving us a 5% discount until May 31st. Just enter the coupon code: LITTLE GREENDOT
Posted by militza
Dry, brittle. Puffs up in humidity. Frizzes out if you brush it. If this is your hair, I have just the thing for you! This anti-frizz treatment will be your new favorite! Most hair treatments recipes are based on oil, but if you use too much, you end up looking like a grease ball for days. This mask is made with three ingredients that will leave your hair looking better than ever! All I ask is that you try it and let me know what you think!!
Yoghurt: full of protein, it offers nourishment that our hair needs to grow strong and healthy. It also has moisturising properties which make it a great natural conditioner. Are you trying to grow your hair? Yogurt has lactic acids, which is great for cleansing the scalp and clearing away dead skin cells to help your hair follicles grow!
Honey: honey is a humectant, it attracts and retains moisture in your hair and an emollient, helping to soften and smoothen. Full of vitamins, it’s also skin food for your scalp! Honey can lighten your hair over time, but if you only use this treatment once a week, you probably won’t see any changes.
Coconut Oil: you can’t do a good hair mask without a drop of coconut oil. It’s unique in that it can actually penetrate the hair shaft, moisturising from within. It’s incredibly nutrient rich and antibacterial – so you’ll be conditioning your scalp as well. It’s going to help the hair shaft to lay flat so that your hair looks smooth and shiny – but definitely not greasy. It’s a very rich oil, so a drop will do.
DIY Deep Conditioning Hair Mask
for dry, frizzy hair
ingredients (double up for long hair):
- 2 tablespoons natural yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 tsp coconut oil for thin hair, 1/2 tsp coconut oil for thicker hair (see how your hair soaks in the oil – mine can only take a drop!)
- if your coconut oil is hard, go ahead and melt it down
- combine all of the ingredients together
- work the mask onto your hair, from the scalp to the ends
- give your scalp a good massage – you want the mask to cover your scalp
- leave the mask on for 15 -20 minutes
- wash as normal, if you use conditioner, just a small amount on the ends will do.
- do this treatment once a week to restore and maintain your hair.
Posted by militza
I have a super practical tip for you today, inspired by a friend who I recently helped. She’s a new mom, just moved into a new house and wanted to learn some simple green cleaning recipes. My advice to her was this:
Whatever you’re cleaning – always start the job with the most simple ingredients. Sure, there may be times you’ll need specialty cleaners, but most things can be tackled with really basic ingredients.
A great example of this is dish soap – we keep it by our kitchen sink, we wash our dishes with it – but did you know that you can use it all around the house too!
Companies are happy to sell us 10 products to do one job. Forget that! Bulk up on a good, gentle liquid soap and you can clean your house from top to bottom!
Dish Soap – Not just for the dishes!
Here are 10 ideas for how you can use dish soap all around the house!
- Mop the floors. Soap cuts dirt and grime – all you need is a drop of liquid dish soap in a bucket of warm water
- Spot Stain Remover. Soap is especially good at cleaning grease and oil stains on clothing. Dap the area with liquid dish soap, pat it in and let it soak for 10 minutes. If you can, throw it in a cold wash or rinse with cold water
- Make (the best) all-purpose scrub. This will give you extra grit to fight tough stains in the sink, on surfaces, pots and pans and more! Just mix baking soda with liquid soap (or bar soap) until it forms a paste.
- Clean the windows. Add a drop of liquid dish soap to a pail of warm water and with a cloth, give your windows and mirrors a good wipe down. It lifts oily fingers stains right off! Follow with a dry microfiber cloth to buff it clean
- Clean your Shoes. In small bowl add a bit of soap and water and with a toothbrush, dab it into the solution and scrub your shoes clean.
How to Make an All-Purpose Soap Spray
For all ideas below, make an all-purpose spray with your dish soap.
- add 1 part dish soap to 10 parts water
- mix well
- that’s it!
- All-purpose Cleaner - Gentle dish soaps are pH neutral – not too acidic, not too alkaline – it’s safe for all surfaces from the bathroom to the kitchen. Grab a microfiber cloth and spray away!
- Stove-top Grease Cutter – Spray it on, and wipe the grease away!
- Sticky Cabinet spills – Cabinets tend to get a bit sticky over time - give it a good wipe down!
- Clean the inside of the fridge – Give your fridge a good cleaning and avoid toxic chemicals near your food.
- Clean Marble and Granite. Vinegar can’t be used on natural stone surfaces, so go for dish soap instead. Use it like you would any all-purpose cleaner.
Check out our own local brand, Idocare for a gentle dish soap you can buy in bulk!
Posted by militza
One of my favorite ways to simplify my life is by getting the most out of the things that I already have!
Picture this – you wake up in the morning and blend up a super healthy green shake. Instead of throwing away the peels, you save them for the evening. When you come home, you’ve had a busy day and want to relax. Take out those peels, and give youself a lovely 15 minute steam treatment. You breathe in the orange essential oils, you feel good and you get a quality facial too!
Orange essential oils found in orange peels are a great astringent for the skin. With the steam, it helps to open the pores and really clean them out – it’s especially good for brightening up tired, dull skin. Here’s a great tip: Follow your steam treatment with a very gentle Home Microdermabrasion. Your skin is going to glow and feel amazing – you’ll love it!
Green shakes and facials – talk about beauty from the inside out! :)
Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
- 1 banana (best frozen)
- 1 orange
- 1/2 lime (Tahitian lime is my fav)
- 1 very small nib of ginger
- 1-2 cups of leafy greens
- 2 cups of water
- throw everything into a blender and blend it up until smooth! I think it’s best if your banana is frozen to make it really creamy. This amount makes enough for two servings.
Orange Steam Treatment
- orange peels
- steaming hot water
- heat safe bowl
Posted by militza
- pour steaming hot water over the orange peels. Immediately (carefully) place your head over the steam and cover yourself, and the bowl with a towel. This will help to trap in the essential oils and steam, to get to work on your skin! Relax for 15 minutes over the steam. Follow with this Skin Polishing recipe.